6489 Main Street
Gloucester, Virginia 23061
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
*see Office Closings for holidays
Building Inspection Home
Website updated by
MISSION: The mission of the Building Inspections Department is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public by assuring that all buildings, structures and related equipment are constructed, installed, and maintained in compliance with the standards contained within the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and the Gloucester County Code.
Below are some of the services we provide:
- Administration of the Uniform Statewide Building Code and the building regulations required by The Gloucester County Code
- Inspections for compliance with minimum code requirements
- Commercial and residential plan review
- Review and processing of permit applications
- Floodplain Management
- Board of Building Code Appeals
- Education through Public Meetings and Training Workshops
- Participation in the Virginia Building and Code Officials Association.
Our knowledgeable staff members are available to assist you starting with the permitting process all the way through final construction of your project. The department is dedicated to helping you with your building project and ensuring that it is built to the current Virginia, and Gloucester County codes.
THE BUILDING OFFICIAL:
Remember to change the batteries in your smoke detector! Also remember most smoke detectors must be replaced after ten years. Check with the manufacturer of your smoke detector for more information.
Also check out our new smoke detector slide show!
It's pool season...be safe! Click here for a link to the pool safety brochure and information on permitting requirements.
Calculate download time