Gloucester Clean Community Committee
CLEAN GLOUCESTER DAY
Saturday, March 10, 2018
[rain date Saturday, March 17, 2018]
To register call Gloucester Clean Community at 804.693.5370
Clean Gloucester Day in 2017 took place on Saturday, March 18. 714 volunteers took part in Clean Gloucester Day 2017 and collected more than 19.87 tons of trash, litter, and debris.
Volunteers worked along county roads gathering lumber, numerous tires, scrap metal, and 918 bags of trash.
Since its inception in 2011, more than 3,151 volunteers have collected a total of 80.09 tons of trash and litter on Clean Gloucester Day.
The Clean Community Committee extends a sincere "Thank you" to all the volunteers for coming out to help clean Gloucester. Also, thanks to Brandon and Kyle of All Seasons Lawn and Tree that provided a dump truck with a boom to collect larger items in areas the other volunteers could not reach.
Special thanks go to:
• The VDOT Team of: Kevin Sears, Brandon Williams, James Chapman II, Billy Butler, Frankie Hancock, Matthew Horne, Darryl Horsley, Jerry Jenkins, Edward Miller, Brian Rowe, Keith Townsend, and Julius Ward for supplying the orange bags, collecting bags left on the roadside, and use of the Commuter Parking Lot on Guinea Road for a staging area.
• Waste Management for supplying collection bins at the two staging areas
• Main Street Preservation Trust for use of the Main Street Center parking lot for a staging area
• The Sheriff's Office, Abingdon Ruritan Club, and the Inmate Crew for collecting a combined total of more than 2.5 tons of trash.
• The Shack Hunt Club for collecting just under one ton of trash.
We would also like to thank the Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal for assisting with outreach efforts for Clean Gloucester Day.
Contact the Clean Community Office at 693-5370 or the Clean Community Coordinator for additional information.
VIMS Green Team 3/18/2017
Brandon of All Season Lawn and Tree putting shingles in the collection bin at the Guinea Road staging area. Shingles collected down in the marsh in the Guinea area.
Baystars cleaning Brays Point Road
Pack 175 Cub Scout Bear Den
Scenes from Previous Clean Gloucester Days
Getting the word out!
Volunteers of all ages "pitched in" for Clean Gloucester Day.
Clean Community Committee member Kathie Bennett talks to volunteers Kelle and Rob Gibbs
Volunteers Mike Crandall, Brad Bennett, and Glenn Aycock with trash they collected along Guinea Road
Bags of trash collected along T. C. Walker Road
Volunteers Ed and Betty Oliphant unload trash at the Library Staging Area
Some of the trash bags deposited in the dumpster at the Library Staging Area