Next Scheduled Gloucester County
Household Harmful Waste Collection
Saturday, April 15, 2017
9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Middle Peninsula Landfill and Recycling Center (Adner - Glenns; entrance on Route 17), located at 3714 Waste Management Way.
This collection is open to Gloucester County residents only. Commercial quantities, quantities that exceed a reasonable residential household amount, and/or hazardous or harmful waste generated by businesses will not be accepted.
This collection allows residents an opportunity to dispose of:
- Automobile hazardous waste – antifreeze, brake and transmission fluids, gasoline (and mixtures thereof), batteries, etc.
- Painting supplies – paints, thinners, solvents, epoxies, wood preservatives, etc.
- Gardening supplies – pesticides, herbicides, etc.
- Household items – small propane canisters and propane tanks for grills, toxic household cleaners, drain cleaners, mercury, pool chemicals, batteries, main computers and monitors, etc.
Items that cannot be accepted:
- Ammunition, explosives, fireworks, and marine and other flares
- Drugs, medicines, and medical waste
- Television sets, computer keyboards, and printers. (Best Buy retail stores accept most electronics for recycling at no charge. Contact a Best Buy store for details. Computer Recycling of Virginia in Tappahannock (804-445-9672) recycles computers and computer related equipment for use in schools. The Puller Center accepts computers and peripherals for proper disposal for a fee. Contact the Puller Center for more information at 693-3114.
- Household trash (can be taken to any Convenience Center)
The average household has between three and ten gallons of materials that are potentially hazardous to human health or the environment. Many products in daily use (cleaners, pesticides, solvents) contribute to the hazardous waste problem when disposed of improperly. Gloucester County and Waste Management provide residents two opportunities annually to safely dispose of these items. Household Harmful Waste Collections are held on the third Saturday of April and October.
On the third Saturday in April, the Household Harmful Waste Collection is held at the Middle Peninsula Landfill and Recycling Center (Adner - Glenns; entrance on Route 17), located at 3714 Waste Management Way.
In October, the collection is held on the third Saturday at the Hayes Convenience Center, located at 7599 Guinea Road.
Household Harmful Waste collections are typically held between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the designated days. Please verify the dates and times prior to taking Household Harmful Waste to the designated location.
Additional information about Household Harmful Waste is available here.