Join us for the
"KICK OFF OF THE HOLIDAY SEASON"
Santa Claus is coming to town!!! Be sure to look for Santa in the parade, then make plans to visit with him after the parade.
PLEASE REVIEW LINE UP INFORMATION CAREFULLY, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE ALL PARTICIPANTS KNOW THE RULES!
• Pass this information on to everyone in your group, it’s your responsibility to inform your participants of rules.
• If you have questions, please contact Denise Carter 804-693-1264 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• ALL UNITS MUST BE DECORATED IN THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON.
• Check-in & Line-Up begin at Noon at the Main Street Center (MSC) shopping center, Library–6920 Main St.
• Please CAR POOL. Meet your group at another location & car pool. SPACE IS VERY LIMITED. Parking is available at Botetourt School for parade participants. This is where the parade ends.
• Check in by PARTICIPANT/GROUP name NO NUMBERS ARE ASSIGNED.
• Enter MSC near Library and near big Main Street Center Sign.
• You must be in line-up position by 1:30 pm, parade begins at 2 pm.
• NO designated float decorating area, have decorations in vehicle pulling float. No additional vehicles may enter line up area.
• Judges and emcee will be located just past the Court Circle (left side of street).
• IDENTIFICATION CARD (you will receive at check-in) must be carried & held up as you approach the judges. Please do not tape or staple the card, a volunteer will collect the cards after you have passed the judges.
• Children may not be left unattended.
• Disregarding these rules is grounds for suspension from future parades.
• The parade will end at Botetourt Elementary School. Parking will be available there for participants. After the parade the lot will become public parking.
• Awards will be presented at the Emcee's Stage immediately after the parade.
• Parades should be “all forward motion” events with no planned stoppages. Performing groups should choreograph routines to maintain forward motion at the parade pace. Parade Marshals have the authority to request that a parade entry speed up or slow down to manage the gap between parade entrants.
• A minimum distance of 15 feet between parade entries should be maintained at all times.
Vehicle and Towed Vehicle Entries:
• Drivers of motorized units must possess a valid Drivers License.
• Parade entrants may not throw candy or other items. Walkers may HAND parade trinkets, food, candy, etc. or literature to the audience at the street curb.
• Participants may not ride perched on top of pick-up truck bed sides.
• Riding on truck gates in the down position in any manner is prohibited.
• Participants may not jump onto or off of any parade apparatus, moving or stopped, during the parade.
• No revving of motors or “gunning” vehicles during parade.
• Parade participants are required to operate vehicles, bicycles, unicycles, skateboards, in-line skates, Segways, Razors, or other wheeled equipment in established parade zone. Operators are restricted from weaving or swerving towards bystanders to increase drama, visual effect or excitement. Participants shall at all times maintain a buffer zone of at least 6’ from spectators.
• Tow vehicles shall have all vehicle windows in the down position. Communication with the driver is essential and rolling all windows down will facilitate this communication. Note that amplified music either from within or outside the tow vehicle may be competing for the tow vehicle driver’s attention.
• Trailers shall have operational brake lights, be a maximum 10 feet wide and maintain a ground clearance of at least 10 inches. Trailer hitch mechanisms shall be friction pinned or locked in the closed position when attached to the tow vehicle.
Entries with Animals:
• It is the responsibility of participants with animals to clean up animal waste from line-up area, parade route and disassembly area.
Parade Safety Reminders
• Drivers should watch for spectators entering the parade thoroughfare, either accidentally or intentionally.
• Driver vision to the front and sides (180 degree field of view) should not be obstructed.
• Obey traffic laws. Use the disassembly area at Botetourt to remove decorations that could become a safety hazard.
The Gloucester Citizen's Holiday Parade Committee, Parks, Recreation and Tourism, Smith's Florist and the Daffodil Festival Committee.