The mission of the Building Inspections Department is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public by assuring that all buildings, structures and related equipment are constructed, installed, and maintained in compliance with the standards contained within the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and the Gloucester County Code.
- Administration of the Uniform Statewide Building Code and the building regulations required by The Gloucester County Code
- Inspections for compliance with minimum code requirements
- Commercial and residential plan review
- Review and processing of permit applications
- Floodplain management
- Board of Building Code Appeals
- Education through public meetings and training workshops
- Participation in the Virginia Building and Code Officials Association
Our knowledgeable staff members are available to assist you starting with the permitting process all the way through final construction of your project. The department is dedicated to helping you with your building project and ensuring that it is built to the current Virginia, and Gloucester County codes.
What Requires a Permit?
- Any construction or improvements in a flood zone requires a permit!
- Anytime a building/structure is being altered, constructed, converted, demolished, enlarged, improved, or repaired, or in a flood zone!
- New construction of a structure (building and/or purchase a pre-built)
- Example: Commercial buildings, houses, pole buildings, carports, gazebo’s, pergola’s, decks/porches, additions, shed’s, etc.
- Example: porch/deck enclosures; moving, adding, or demolishing interior walls; insulation/drywall; sky lights, widening doors, etc.
TRADES: Residential & Commercial
Notes From the Building Official
Remember to change the batteries in your smoke detector! Also remember most smoke detectors must be replaced after ten years. Check with the manufacturer of your smoke detector for more information. Check out our new smoke detector slideshow (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
It's pool season...be safe! View the pool safety brochure (PDF) Opens a New Window. and information on permitting requirements.
NOTICE: CODE CYCLE CHANGE EFFECTIVE JULY 1 2021
Monthly Building Reports
FLOOD ZONE SEARCH BY ADDRESS: CLICK LINK BELOW!
Building Inspection Applications/forms
- Building/Zoning; (also Demo) Permit Application
- Trades Application (Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical) (PDF)
- Floodplain Development Permitting Form (revised) (PDF)
- Special Inspections Procedures Form (PDF)
- Gloucester County Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Change of Address or Ownership (PDF)
- Property Owners Affidavit (PDF)
- Request for Modification to the Building Code (PDF)
- VE Zone Design and Break Away Wall Certification (PDF)
- Board of Building Code Appeals Application (PDF)
- Backflow Prevention Test Report (PDF)
Documentation / Policies
- Deck Safety Presentation (for Building Safety Week) (PDF)
- Basic Design Criteria - USBC R301 Values Table (PDF)
- Handrails Grasping Detail (PDF)
- Home Portable Fire Extinguishers Information (PDF)
- Inspections Procedure (PDF)
- Landing Steps Detail (PDF)
- One Fixture Accessible Bathroom Layout (PDF)
- Portable Generator Hazards (PDF)
- Residential Generator Guidelines (PDF)
- Residential Photovoltaic System Guidelines (PDF)
- Residential Swimming Pools - Electrical Wiring Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Swimming Pools and Spas - Complete Details (PDF)
- Smoke Alarm Slide Show (PDF)
- Smoking in Restaurants Prohibited (HB 1703) (PDF)
- Steps to Build a Single Family Dwelling (PDF)
- Swimming Pools Brochure - General Information (PDF)
- Typical Wall Detail (PDF)
- Typical Wall Detail for 2 Story House (PDF)
- Typical Wall Detail Single Story (PDF)
- Virginia Asbestos Regulations (PDF)
- Woodstove Installation Guide (PDF)
- 2018 USBC DECK DETAILS
- Handicap Ramp Handout (PDF)