Keeping Gloucester beautiful is a community effort
Get together with your family, friends, neighbors, or coworkers to host a cleanup or beautification event at a public space...
- - Host a river cleanup via kayak for International Coastal Cleanup Day
- - Plant trees to celebrate Arbor Day
- - Adopt a public spot to beautify on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
...the Clean Community Office can support your event and help to make it a success! We have equipment to lend, county connections for arranging trash bag pickup, and a wide social media reach to help you publicize. All we ask is that you report back with your stats (e.g. how many people/bags of trash collected) using this Cleanup Report Form so we can use them for our grant reporting and keep the Clean Community office thriving.
Steps to A Successful Beautification Event
- Decide on an event type. Do you want to host a cleanup, recycling or planting event? The Clean Community Coordinator can help you brainstorm ideas! We also may be able to provide you with seeds or plants for your project.
- Set a date. Saturday mornings between 8 a.m. and noon tend to garner the most volunteers. Let the Clean Community Office know your date in advance, so we can help publicize your event and gather supplies to lend your group. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 804-693-5370.
- Enlist assistance from the tall and small...invite neighborhood associations, church groups, scouts, civic organizations, and others.
- Create a checklist of equipment you will need for your event. The Clean Community Coordinator can lend you trash bags, litter grabbers, gloves, safety vests, and other items you may need.
- Celebrate a job well done! It’s a nice idea to congratulate your volunteers by hosting a picnic after the event.
- Send the Clean Community Department photos of your event, and we’ll submit them to the local press with a media release.
- Fill out our Cleanup Report Form please, so our office can continue to be grant-funded.
The Gloucester Clean Community Office hosts Clean Gloucester Days twice a year in March and October, lends out cleanup equipment to Gloucester residents, and provides educational programs for schoolchildren and groups of all ages. To schedule an educational program or talk for your group, please contact the Clean Community office at 804-693-5370 or .
The Virginia Department of Transportation manages the Adopt-a-Highway program. For information, please visit VDOT’s website. Clean Community can supply you with supplies for your Adopt-A-Highway site if needed!