Household Harmful Waste
FOR THE SAFETY OF WASTE MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEES, CUSTOMERS, AND COMMUNITIES, THE SPRING 2020 HARMFUL WASTE COLLECTION HAS BEEN CANCELLED. Please hold on to your harmful waste or click on our "Convenience Centers" page at the left, and scroll down to Harmful Waste for further disposal options that are not free.
This collection is open to Gloucester County residents only. Commercial quantities, quantities that exceed a reasonable residential household amount, and/or hazardous waste generated by businesses will not be accepted.
This collection allows residents an opportunity to dispose of:
- Automobile hazardous waste - antifreeze, brake and transmission fluids, gasoline (and mixtures thereof), batteries, etc.
- Gardening/Outdoor supplies - pesticides, herbicides, pool chemicals, etc.
- Household items - small propane canisters and propane tanks for grills, fire extinguishers, toxic household cleaners, drain cleaners, mercury, batteries, electronics, etc.
- Painting supplies (PDF) Opens in New Window - paints, thinners, solvents, epoxies, wood preservatives, etc.
Items NOT Accepted
Items that cannot be accepted:
- Ammunition, explosives, fireworks, and marine and other flares
- Drugs, medicines, and medical waste (drug dropbox at Sheriff’s office, 7502 Justice Dr.)
- Household trash (can be taken to any Convenience Center)
Collection of Harmful Waste
The average household has between three and ten gallons of materials that are potentially hazardous to human health or the environment. Many products in daily use (cleaners, pesticides, solvents) contribute to the hazardous waste problem when disposed of improperly. Gloucester County and Waste Management provide residents two opportunities annually to safely dispose of these items. Household Harmful Waste Collections are held on the third Saturday of April and October.
The October Household Harmful Waste Collection is held at the Guinea Convenience Center located at 7599 Guinea Road, Hayes. The April Household Harmful Waste Collection is held at the Middle Peninsula Landfill and Recycling Center located at 3714 Waste Management Way, Saluda. Household Harmful Waste collections are typically held between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on the designated days. Please verify the dates and times prior to taking Household Harmful Waste to the designated location.