The Gloucester County seal was found by Robert Robins, formerly of Ware Neck, Gloucester. It was confirmed by the board of Supervisors in 1974 as the official seal of the county. Two impressions of the official county seal were found, though they seem similar, they appear to have been made from different seals. Both carried the design of a beehive on a stand in the center of a circular seal with the inscription Gloucester County Virginia around the rim.
Mr. Robins found the seal in the pension application file of Lieutenant Joshua Singleton of Gloucester, a veteran of the American revolution. One of the seals was found on an affidavit sworn on August 8, 1832, and the other was affixed to a certified record on March 27, 1845. According to research conducted by Mrs. Roland Lewis, member of the Historical Committee, the beehive, is representative of the unity and labor of a colony, or the unity of a community working together. The use of the symbol dates back to 407 A.D.
The County of Gloucester has a County Administrator form of government with an elected seven member Board of Supervisors. The Administrator oversees the daily administration of the County. The County has adopted a comprehensive plan and has zoning. Gloucester is part of both the Hampton Roads and Middle Peninsula.