The Gloucester County Zoning Ordinance has been in effect since July 1, 1984 with a county wide comprehensive rezoning of the ordinance effective February 1, 1998. With the adoption of the zoning ordinance was the creation of the enforcement division of the Codes Compliance department. In addition to permit review and approval, the division investigates complaints generated regarding potential zoning violations and enforces certain sections of the Gloucester County code such as inoperative motor vehicles, tall grass and weeds, and bulky waste and debris.
The zoning ordinance however does not regulate matters such as private lane/right of way disputes, noise ordinance, discharging firearms and items similar in nature. Private matters are civil matters that must be handled on that level or through an attorney. The Codes Compliance office and zoning division are tasked with the provision of services and enforcement of county code matters.
The zoning ordinance does regulate matters pertaining to uses permitted in specific zones, setbacks / yard regulations of principal and accessory structures including residential and commercial uses, home occupations, livestock and poultry, and sign regulations to name a few.
- What department regulates subdivisions, subdividing, boundary line adjustments, etc.?
- How do I know what my property is zoned?
- Are manufactured homes permitted in Gloucester?
- Does Gloucester County allow home occupations?
- Do I need a permit to erect a sign?
- How far does a fence have to be off the property line?
- What department handles things such as noise complaints and firearms?
- I'm a renter and my landlord won't correct problems. Who do I contact?