The Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office only accepts applications for employment when vacancies exist. Submitted applications are actively kept on file for one year and only considered if a position is available. The application process for sworn and non-sworn personnel is as follows:
- Submit a completed application (PDF), typed resume, and notary page by mail or in person at:
7502 Justice Drive
Gloucester, VA 23061
- Applications must be completed in their entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- An initial check will be made of your criminal history, driving record, and credit. Please review the appointment criteria and job requirement descriptions.
- Applicants may be contacted for a panel interview. This is a question and answer session comprised of members of the office. Successful candidates move on to the next phase.
- Background investigation by a Criminal Investigator and a check of listed and non-listed references.
- Polygraph examination.
- Staff reviews of top applicants and a conditional offer of employment.
- Medical examination and drug screening.
- Psychological examination.
- New employee start date.
The Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A separate application is required for each position. Employment applications may also be obtained by visiting the lobby of the Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office.
For notification when a position becomes available, please follow our Facebook page.
Current Employment Opportunities
|Deputy Sheriff / School Resource Officer (2 positions open) $50,116 annually Closes February 17th, 2023|
|Full-time law enforcement position with benefits. Additional stipend available based on education. See below for job description. Must have at least two years of documented law enforcement experience with a law enforcement agency.|
|Part Time Cook / Jail $13.20 per hour Open Until Filled|
|Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for a total of 24 hours per week. See below for job description.|
|911 Dispatcher / Full Time $37,077 or higher depending on experience and qualifications Closes February 24th, 2023|
|Full-time civilian position with VRS retirement and benefits. See below for job description.|
|Deputy Sheriff / Corrections $46,967 annually or higher based on experience and qualifications Closes February 17th, 2023
|Full-time corrections position with benefits. See below for job description. Must hold DCJS Corrections certification to apply.|
- 911 Communications Dispatcher - Part Time (PDF)
- Citizen Academy Application Form (PDF)
- Corrections Deputy Job Description
- School Resource Officer Job Description
- Deputy Sheriff - Uniform Patrol (PDF)
- Accounts Payable Technician
- Application For Employment
- Jail Cook
- 911 Communication Dispatcher - Full Time (PDF)