Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)
This board reviews and hears applications for special exceptions to, variances from, and appeals regarding the administration of the County's Zoning Ordinance.
The Board has six primary duties:
- To hear and decide appeals from any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative officer in the administration or enforcement of the zoning ordinance.
- To grant upon appeal or original application in specific cases variances from the terms of the zoning ordinance as where the strict application of the ordinance would unreasonably restrict the utilization of a property or that granting of a variance would alleviate a hardship.
- To hear and decide applications for special exceptions as may be authorized in the official schedule of district regulations:
- All applicants for Special Exceptions must attend a Pre-application meeting.
- To hear and decide applications for interpretation of the district map where there is an uncertainty as to the location of a district boundary.
- To hear and decide appeals from the decision of the zoning administrator.
- To revoke a special exception previously granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
The Board does not have the power to rezone property.
- 7 p.m.
- 4th Tuesday of every month if an application is received
- Colonial Courthouse
6504 Main Street
Gloucester, VA 23061
Seven members are appointed by the Circuit Court, on recommendation by the Board of Supervisors, for a five-year term.
|J. Wayne Horsley, Chair||County-Wide||804-693-3668||Email J. Wayne Horsley||6/30/2023|
|James S. Leigh, Vice Chair||County-Wide||804-694-9845||Email James Leigh||3/31/2022|
|Charles E. Davis, III||County-Wide||817-983-1326||Email Charles E. Davis III||3/31/2022|
|Mark J. Gandolfo||County-Wide||804-693-7981||Email Mark Gandolfo||6/30/2021|
|Mark Holthaus||County-Wide||804-824-8191||Email Mark Holthaus||6/30/2022|
|James Newton||County-Wide||804-694-5371||Email James Newton||6/30/2020|
|Robert N. Ottarson||County-Wide||804-693-8934||Email Robert Ottarson||6/30/2024|
|Tripp Little||Staff Liaison||804-693-1224||Email Tripp Little||N/A|
|Linda Sprague||Secretary||804-693-1224||Email Linda Sprague||N/A|
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Contact the Planning and Zoning Office at 804-693-1224 for more information.