How and where do I sign up for service?

To sign up for service, you will need to come by our Business/Customer Service Office located at 7384 Carriage Court, between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to fill out and sign an Application for Water and Sewer Service (PDF). There will be a $30 non-refundable account transfer fee, which can be added to the first month's bill, as well as deposits ($60 water and $40 sewer, both refundable when the account is final billed) that will need to be paid at the time of a tenant's sign up. In cases of owner sign up, an application may be downloaded from our website, filled out and returned via fax to our office. The application must be signed at least 24 hours prior to the service start date.

Show All Answers

1. How and where do I sign up for service?
2. Who do I call with questions regarding my bill?
3. When are the bills due?
4. How often will I receive a bill?
5. Where can I pay my bill?
6. Does the County add fluoride to the water?
7. Can I eliminate the chlorine odor?
8. What methods of payment are acceptable?
9. Can I pay my bill in advance?
10. Why does my water sometimes smell and taste "funny"?
11. What causes my water to have a white, milky appearance?
12. Can I plant trees, shrubs, etc. near the water and sewer lines?
13. The water coming out of my faucet is discolored. What could be happening?
14. What should I do if my meter box becomes damaged?
15. What do I do in case of a sewer emergency?